May 19, 2019

Launceston’s redeveloped C. H. Smith precinct in Charles Street has a commercial history going back nearly 200 years.

William Sharland’s 1826 map of Launceston shows two private buildings on the site with the landholders listed as Thomas Massey, an ex-convict made good,...

April 29, 2019

The imminent opening of the redeveloped C. H. Smith and Company site in Charles Street, Launceston, will perpetuate the name of a prominent and successful businessman.

When the business name Chas. H. Smith and Company appeared in Launceston in July 1889 it was the start...

April 14, 2019

In the 1920s Launceston was home to the largest furniture factory in Australia, a vast industrial complex that covered 10 acres at Invermay, established by businessman William Coogan.

W. Coogan & Co. also had factories at Hobart and Burnie making a wide range of furnitu...

April 4, 2019

The Great Flood of 1929 remains the most deadly flood disaster in Tasmania’s history.

Ninety years ago wild weather and rain across Northern Tasmania started in late March and intensified in early April with 18 inches (457mm) of rain recorded between April 3 and 6.

It is...

January 13, 2019

In August 1912 the Hunter Report on the future of shipping services on the Tamar River recommended the construction of a new wharf in Launceston.

With cargo and passenger ships getting bigger and an expanding apple and pear industry the Launceston Marine Board had engag...

January 6, 2019

In 1867 pastoralist William Gibson of Native Point, near Perth, bought the property Scone, just across the South Esk River, from David Ritchie who wanted to concentrate on his flour milling enterprises.

It is said William Gibson bought Scone for his son, also William, w...

November 15, 2018

An advertisement appeared in the Launceston Advertiser in March 1830 announcing that “M. Phillips, Watchmaker”, was setting up business at the White Conduit House hotel on the corner of Brisbane and Charles streets in Launceston.

Moses Phillips was almost certainly Laun...

November 7, 2018

The fourth Thomas Archer of the farming property Woolmers at Longford was a member of the Tamar Yacht Club for more than 50 years.

Thomas Cathcart Archer, usually referred to as “T. C.” or Tom, was born in 1862 and like his father, Thomas Chalmers Archer, was interested...

December 12, 2017

The honour of naming the original Tamar Yacht Club in Launceston can almost certainly be laid at the feet of William Lushington Goodwin. Ship’s captain, journalist and newspaper owner, it was Goodwin who published the first story on the yacht club and who was on the or...

December 3, 2017

Peter Bulman, the man who established Waverley Woollen Mills, was the pioneer of Launceston’s textile industry. This article is an extract from my book THE OUTCOME OF ENTERPRISE published in 2009 for the Friends of the Launceston Library . . . 

Expatriate Scot Peter Bul...

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

© 2015 by JULIAN BURGESS. Proudly created with Wix.com