Books and articles
April 26, 2020
HENRY Charles (Harry) Abbott was a successful Launceston businessman and generous supporter of his community whose name has been remembered for the past 60 years on a scout hall on St George's Square.
Born in Victoria in 1876, Harry Abbott was three years old when his f...
April 19, 2020
One of my contributions in the new book Launceston and its environs: a Sound History . . .
For thousands of years the people who dwelt on the banks of the estuary we now call the Tamar River lived with its many and varied sounds – from gentle ripples on tranquil waters...
February 22, 2020
In March 1932 the first regular air passenger service between Tasmania and Flinders Island was introduced by pilot and flying instructor L. M. (Laurie) Johnson.
His Desoutter II single-engined monoplane, given the name Miss Flinders, had been flown out from England betw...
January 22, 2020
Graeme Dineen, who passed away on 23 December 2019 at the age of 78, played a major role in yachting in Tasmania and the development of the Tamar Yacht Club, serving as commodore from 1985 to 1987.
Graeme held numerous club and committee positions in his long associatio...
December 8, 2019
THE jewellery and watchmaking firm F. and W. Stewart was established by Frederick Stewart at 149 Charles Street, Launceston, in August 1878, with younger brother William joining in late 1879.
The brothers were born in Launceston to George and Mary Stewart and their fath...
October 1, 2019
Launceston’s Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery has its origins in the Mechanics Institute, later the Launceston Library, which was established 177 years ago.
The very first edition of The Examiner, on March 12, 1842, carried a report on the well-attended public meet...
September 24, 2019
In November 1908 carriage builder Frederick Paine completed construction of the first car for Launceston motor dealers Hall and Jackson of George Street.
The car was a two-seater 8hp De Dion (pictured at right) and F. Paine Carriage Builder, located at 68 Paterson Stree...
September 17, 2019
The announcement in 1926 that the Rapson Tyre and Rubber Company was to build a factory in Launceston caused great excitement.
Although motor vehicle production was still in its infancy motoring was going through a boom period.
Rapson, a British manufacturer, marketed th...
September 9, 2019
High on the façade of the shop at 161 Charles Street, Launceston, the name David Bruce remains as a reminder of a successful and community spirited businessman.
Born in Scotland in 1850, David Bruce arrived in Launceston from Melbourne in 1880 to work in the Brisbane St...
August 5, 2019
In January 1917 the Headmaster of Scotch College in Launceston announced that he was moving his school to a farm called Ravenscraig at Newstead.
Mitchell Tovell had bought Scotch College boys’ school, located in York Street, in 1914 and had brought it under the auspices...
Older Posts >
Harry Abbott: Launceston's soft drink king
Sounds of the Tamar estuary
Miss Flinders: Launceston's pioneering plane
Obituary: Graeme Dineen
When F. and W. Stewart brought a touch of Tiffany's to Launceston
Humble start for Launceston's museum and art gallery
Praise for carriage builder Frederick Paine
A short life for Launceston's Rapson tyre factory
A lasting reminder of draper David Bruce
A new home for Scotch College in 1917
April 2020 (2)
February 2020 (1)
January 2020 (1)
December 2019 (1)
October 2019 (1)
September 2019 (3)
August 2019 (1)
June 2019 (1)
May 2019 (1)
April 2019 (3)
January 2019 (2)
November 2018 (2)
October 2018 (1)
December 2017 (2)
November 2017 (1)
June 2017 (1)
May 2017 (1)
April 2017 (1)
March 2017 (1)
January 2017 (3)
August 2016 (1)
July 2016 (1)
April 2016 (1)
March 2016 (1)
February 2016 (1)
January 2016 (1)
October 2014 (1)
BOOKS FOR SALE